Yield: 16-24 biscotti
For the Amarula Ganache
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp. (100 g) Amarula Cream Liqueur
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp. (100 g) 35% whipping cream
- ¼ cup + 1 tsp. (100 g) liquid honey
- 8 oz. (250 g) white chocolate
- 2/3 cups (150 g) unsalted butter at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
For the Shortbread Cookies
- 4 egg yokes
- 3/4 cup (158 g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp. (5 mL) powdered ginger
- 1/2 tsp. (2.6 g) cinnamon
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup (132 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. (15 g) baking powder
- 3/4 cup (180 g) salted butter
- In a saucepan, warm the Amarula, cream and honey over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Pour the very hot liquid over the white chocolate in a mixing bowl, stirring vigorously with a spatula.
- When the mixture becomes homogeneous, add butter and continue to stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap touching the ganache to prevent it from forming a crust. Refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Preheat the oven at 325°F.
- In a stand mixer* with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs, sugar, ginger, cinnamon and orange zest at medium speed to blanch the eggs (for approximately four minutes, until a frothy consistency and pale colour are achieved).
- Replace the whisk with beater or leaf attachment. If you do not have these attachments, use a spatula.
- Add dry ingredients and butter. Beat at medium speed for about three minutes until a smooth consistency is achieved, scraping the edges of the bowl well.
- Put the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and flatten with a rolling pin until it’s approximately one centimetre thick.
- Place the dough in the freezer on a cookie sheet for approx. 20 minutes to make the dough firm.
- Cut circles of about three centimetres with a cookie cutter. Put the circles on a non-stick cookie sheet or on parchment paper. Use the dough scraps to make more cookies by forming it into a ball and repeat process from step 5.
- Put the cookies in the freezer for 10 minutes, then cook in the oven for 12 minutes, or until the edges (but not the centre) start getting golden.
- Let them cool for 30 minutes at room temperature before garnishing.
- Ideally with a pastry bag if not delicately with a spoon, garnish the cookies with the Amarula ganache.
- Optional: finish with chocolate garnish.
* Note: using a stand mixer is ideal, but if not available mix by hand.