Espresso Shortbread with Amarula Cream Filling
As shared By
Oh Sweet Day
- Espresso Shortbread
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Amarula Cream Filling
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup Amarula
- To prepare shortbread cookies, sift the flour and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Mix espresso powder and hot water until the powder is completely dissolved.
- Cream butter and powdered sugar in a bowl of a standing mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the espresso mixture.
- Reduce the speed to low and beat in the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Gather dough and form a dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to chill.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut into 2-inch rounds using a floured cookie cutter. Place on the prepared baking sheets and place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let the cookies cool a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To prepare Amarula cream filling, cream butter and powdered sugar in a bowl of a standing mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in Amarula until incorporated.
- Transfer the cream filling to a piping bag with a star tip.
- To assemble the cookies, pipe a ring of cream filing onto half of the cookies. Top with the remaining ones.