Amarula & Chocolate Macaron
Yield: Approximately 25 cookies
As shared By
Ingredients For the Macaron Shell
- 3 cups (375 g) blanched almonds
- 3 cups (375 g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar
- 5 (135 g) egg whites (1)
- 5 (135 g) egg whites (2)
- 95 mL (95 g) water
- 1 cup + 6 oz. (375 g) caster (superfine) sugar
Ingredients for the Amarula & Chocolate Ganache
- 11 oz. (350 g) cream 35%
- 5 Tbsp. (15 g) ground coffee
- 9 oz. (225 g) milk chocolate
- 9 oz. (225 g) dark chocolate
- ½ cup (115 g) butter
- 2 oz. (70 g) Amarula Cream Liqueur
Preparation For The Macaron Shell
- Sift almond meal and icing (confectioner’s) sugar together.
- Add 4.5 egg whites (1). Mix until the texture becomes smooth, then reserve.
- Put 4.5 egg whites (2) into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Put the water and the caster (superfine) sugar into a small pan and heat until it turns into syrup.
- When the syrup reaches 110°C (230°F), start to whisk egg whites (2).
- When the syrup reaches 118°C (244°F), pour it onto the fluffy egg whites.
- Keep mixing until the meringue holds and cools to 50°C (122°F).
- Fold the first mix into the meringue until it is smooth and shiny.
- Pipe the resulting macaron mixture into 4 cm (1 5/8 in.) circles; this will make approximately 50 macaron shells.
- Allow to dry at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Bake at 130°C (266°F) for 10-12 minutes. Reserve.
Preparation For The Amarula & Chocolate Ganache
- Heat up the cream.
- Infuse the coffee inside the cream for 20 minutes.
- Sieve the cream to remove the coffee.
- Melt the milk and dark chocolate to 45°C (113°F).
- Pour the cream onto the chocolate.
- Add the butter and blend with a hand blender until the ganache becomes smooth.
- Add the Amarula and blend a little.
- Reserve in a cool place until set.
- Pipe the set ganache onto half the macaron shells (about 25). Cover with the remaining macaron shells. Put the filled macarons into a container in the fridge for a day before consuming to experience the best texture.